• Lung Cancer

    Knowing you have a suspicious nodule or mass on your lung that could mean cancer, can stop you in your tracks. You and your family need answers fast, and you want treatment to start right away. You’ve come to the right place.

    At AAMC, you have access to our Rapid Access Chest and Lung Assessment Program. Our lung experts work with you to decide the best course of action just days after you learn you have a suspicious mass. This fast service means less worry for you and your family, and the ability for our doctors to diagnose and treat you right away.

    About Lung Cancer

    If you’ve been diagnosed with lung cancer, you’re not alone. According to the American Cancer Society, lung cancer is the second most common cancer in both men and women. It also accounts for about 14 percent of all new cancers, affecting roughly 225,000 people each year.

    Cancers are named for — and treatments are based on — where they start in the body. Lung cancer is cancer that starts in your lungs. If the cancer begins somewhere else and spreads to your lungs, this is called a metastasis.

    Lung Cancer Types

    Lung cancer types include:

    About 85 percent of all lung cancer is non-small cell lung cancer while the remaining 15 percent is small cell. Small cell lung cancer can spread quickly, so quick treatment is important.

    Signs and Symptoms

    There are several warning signs of lung cancer, but these symptoms could also be caused by something else. According to the American Cancer Society, warning signs include:

    • Bloody or rust-colored spit or phlegm.
    • Chest pain, especially with deep breaths.
    • Frequent infections, such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
    • Hoarseness.
    • Persistent cough.
    • Shortness of breath.
    • Unintended weight loss.
    • Unusual wheezing.

    If you have any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor right away.

    Diagnosis

    Doctors can use several tests to help diagnose lung cancer, including:

    • Lung cancer screening CTs.
    • Other Imaging tests, such as x-rays and PET CTs.

    Treatment

    After a doctor diagnoses lung cancer, treatment depends on the stage of the disease. We offer many treatment options including:

    • Bronchoscopy and biopsy: Using a small camera, the doctor will examine your airways and can take small samples of tissue.
    • Electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy: This type of bronchoscopy allows the doctor to access areas of the lungs that are beyond the range of a traditional bronchoscope.
    • Endobronchial ultrasound:This small scope and ultrasound allows for a more accurate biopsy of the lungs and surrounding nodes.
    • Minimally invasive thoracic surgery: This process uses smaller incisions to reduce your discomfort and speed recovery.
    • Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS): This is a minimally invasive surgical technique that offers smaller incisions and shorter hospital stays.
    • Thoracotomy: This is open-chest surgery where the surgeon makes an incision in the chest wall between the ribs to remove part or all of a lung.

    Our team of lung cancer specialists includes:

    • Interventional radiologists.
    • Pathologists.
    • Pulmonary specialists.
    • Radiation and medical oncologists.
    • Certified tobacco treatment specialists.
    • Thoracic nurse navigator.
    • Thoracic social worker.
    • Thoracic surgeons.
  • Prevention

    Tobacco Treatment Programs

    While lung cancer is a serious threat to your health, there is good news. Up to 90 percent of lung cancers can be prevented by not smoking. Quitting smoking is one of the most powerful decisions you can make for your health, but it requires ongoing treatment and support. That’s why we offer so many tobacco cessation programs to help you break old habits and adopt new ones. We offer:

    How much do you know about the dangers of tobacco? Take the quiz.

    Lung Cancer Screening

    Learn more about your lung cancer risk and the steps you can take to prevent it. We designed the AAMC Lung Screening Program to answer your questions and address your concerns about lung screening, lung cancer, smoking and how to quit.

    If you answer YES to the any of the following questions, talk to your doctor:

    • I’m between the ages of 55 and 80.
    • I’ve smoked for at least 30 years, or have quit smoking in the last 15 years.
    • I want to learn more about low dose CT Screening for early detection of lung cancer.
    • I’m concerned about smoking and the impact on my health.
    • I’d like to quit smoking.
    • I feel alone in my efforts to quit smoking.

    For more information about the AAMC Lung Screening Program, call 443-481-5838.

    Make an Appointment

    We’re here to help. If you suspect you may have lung cancer, or you have been recently diagnosed, don’t wait another day. Call to schedule a consultation.

  • Success Stories