Integrative oncology combines complementary therapies like acupuncture and massage with conventional cancer treatments like chemotherapy and surgery.
A cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming for anyone. And no matter what kind of cancer you have, the choices for treatment may feel equally bewildering.
At Luminis Health, we offer a combination of conventional and complementary therapies — integrative oncology — to give you the tools to fight cancer and feel your best.
What Is Integrative Oncology?
Integrative oncology is a field of cancer care. It includes complementary therapies such as natural supplements, lifestyle modifications, and mind and body practices. These therapies are used in addition to conventional cancer treatments like surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
Some types of complementary therapies, like nutritional supplements, promote general wellness. Others, like acupuncture, help you manage the side effects of cancer treatments like chemotherapy.
Integrative oncology is both patient-centered and evidence-based. The aim is to maximize your physical and emotional ability to undergo cancer treatments and improve your quality of life. Integrative oncology can also help reduce the chances of your cancer coming back.
Why Choose Luminis Health for Integrative Oncology?
Luminis Health is a national leader in integrative oncology. Here's why.
- We only use science-supported therapies. Our integrative oncology practitioners use evidence-based therapies. Some, like acupuncture, come from different medical traditions and have clinical trials to support their effectiveness.
- We are nationally recognized. Luminis Health Integrative Oncology is an active member of the Integrative Oncology Leadership Collaborative, a national organization dedicated to implementing integrative health care.
- We participate in clinical trials. We are passionate about research in complementary medicine. These clinical trials increase awareness of how complementary therapies can dramatically improve your wellness during your cancer journey.
- Our doctors have top-notch training. Our integrative oncology team includes Young Lee, MD, and Barbara Urban, MD. Both are graduates of the prestigious Harvard Medical School Structural Acupuncture Program.
- We're unique. No other hospital in Maryland features a collaborative patient care model where medical oncologists work side-by-side with medical acupuncturists to treat cancer.
- You can be an active participant in your care. Integrative oncology allows you to see the big picture of how your cancer affects your overall well-being. You will learn about all the options available to help bolster your health and prevent cancer from recurring.
Types of Integrative Oncology at Luminis Health
We offer a complete range of integrative oncology therapies at Luminis Health. We take a holistic approach because cancer affects your body, mind, and emotional state. These therapies and services include:
- Acupuncture — to treat the pain and hot flashes that are often side effects of cancer treatment.
Physical therapy, nutrition, social work and more are available through our support services.
Benefits of Integrative Oncology
Integrative oncology's goal is to optimize your health, quality of life, and clinical outcomes before, during, and after cancer treatment.
With integrative oncology, you become a more informed, empowered, and active participant in your cancer treatment. You can learn about the entire range of cancer therapies that may boost your chances of improved health.
Our oncologists and integrative medicine providers work side-by-side to offer the best of modern cancer therapies and complementary medicine. We recommend science-supported therapies that make your body stronger, healthier, and less hospitable to cancer.