When you're overweight, it's easy to think about what you have to lose. At Luminis Health Weight Loss and Metabolic Surgery, we put the focus on what you have to gain: better health, a more active lifestyle and greater self confidence.
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for Me?
If you're interested in finding out whether weight loss surgery — also called bariatric surgery — is an option for you, the first step is to sign up for one of our free webinars. At these events, you learn about the weight loss surgery process and types of bariatric surgery we offer.
Remember, it's not about what you have to lose, but what you have to gain. Don't wait. Start your journey today.
Why Consider Bariatric Surgery?
Research shows that bariatric surgery can be an effective way to lose weight, manage chronic conditions and live longer. Benefits include:
- Bariatric surgery reduces the risk of premature death by 30-40%.
- Weight loss surgery helps prevent or improve more than 40 obesity-related diseases, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and certain cancers.
- Patients lose as much as 77% of excess weight 12 months after surgery.
- This is a long-term solution. On average, patients maintain 50% of their weight loss five years after surgery.
- Many patients can stop taking certain medications.
Patients can gain improvements to overall health every day through our program. We call this freedom!
Why Choose Luminis Health for Weight Loss Surgery?
Obesity is complicated and requires support on many different levels. We've helped thousands of patients find a path to a healthier life. Our expert care changes lives.
When you visit us, you'll find:
- Convenient locations for your comprehensive, multidisciplinary care.
- Personalized, confidential and compassionate care tailored to your unique needs and lifestyle.
- Ongoing support from physicians, nutritionists and counselors to encourage healthy, long-term weight loss.
- Education about the many factors that influence weight loss and what you can do now to improve your health.
- Convenient access to all the other health care professionals in the Luminis Health family.
A Leader in Weight Loss Surgery Technology
We stay at the forefront of bariatric surgery technology. This includes using robotic-assisted da Vinci® surgery.
During this procedure, the surgeon is always in charge. Their hand movements correspond to precise movements of small-scale instruments. This allows for greater precision, increased range of motion and better access.
The benefits to you may include:
- Shorter hospital stays.
- Less pain with surgery.
- Reduced risk of infection.
- Less blood loss and scarring.
- Faster recovery and return to normal daily activities.
We're also the only program in Maryland to offer one anastomosis gastric bypass, the newest form of weight loss surgery.
Weight Loss Surgery Options at Luminis Health
We offer different types of weight-loss surgery including:
Revisional bariatric surgery is for people who've had weight loss surgery in the past and are now experiencing complications. This includes removing gastric bands.
Gastric bypass surgery is a weight loss surgery that makes your stomach smaller and changes the way food moves through your body.
Gastric sleeve surgery reduces the amount of food that your stomach can hold, so you feel full longer and don't get as hungry.
Ongoing Support Before and After Weight-Loss Surgery
Having a bariatric procedure is only the beginning of the journey. Not only will our team help you successfully prepare for your surgery, we work with you afterward to lose the weight, keep it off and stay physically and mentally healthy.
Our support services include:
- Bariatric Optimization Program (BOP): Luminis Health Physical Therapy specially designed this exercise program to help you prepare for and recover from weight loss surgery.
- Nutrition counseling: As your body changes, a dietitian helps you create and update a personalized nutrition plan.
- Support groups: We offer support groups that provide an environment for patients to share their experiences. There's no cost to attend.
- Body contouring: Following your weight loss surgery, you may find you've got excess skin left behind. Through body contouring, you can remove sagging skin and improve the shape of the supporting area. We partner with Luminis Health Plastic Surgery to offer this service.
You don't have to feel alone in your weight loss journey — we're always here to help you through it.
Ready to learn more? Attend our free webinar and get all your questions answered.
Dr. Gandsas is a nationally renowned bariatric surgeon and director of AAMC’s Weight Loss and Metabolic Surgery Program. His dedication to the success of his patients is of utmost importance to him. This commitment is evidenced by his pursuit of program accreditation – we are a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Performing more than 3,500 weight loss surgeries, he is an expert in his field.
Dr. Doyle is a board-certified, fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon. She has been practicing in the field of bariatrics for many years and specializes in both primary and revisional bariatric surgery. She is dedicated to helping her patients achieve all of their health and weight loss goals, and maintaining that success for the rest of their lives.
After completing her general surgery residency, Dr. Jillian Nicholas trained under Dr. Gandsas for her bariatric surgery fellowship. She is excited to bring her extensive knowledge and expertise to the Lanham office. Her services include sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, gastric band removal, and general surgery.